Friday, April 10, 2009

"A Blessed Easter to all" " A time for Miracles"


04-10-2009
04:40 AM


Good morning to all. When I posted last I told everyone that Dar spoke for the first time on Sunday while her parents and older sister were with her. Since Sunday I saw Dar on Wednesday and she is talking up a storm..When I arrived on Wednesday Dar was still sleeping so I waited awhile before waking her. About 8:30 knowing she had therapy at 9:00 I woke Dar and she was very much glad to know I was there. Happy and smiling for everyone we got her dressed for the day and ready for her first of several therapy sessions of the day.Dar’s first session was with Dowie and Katrina in the gym. She worked on the mat stretching and working her upper and lower back muscles. For the most she was comfortable and had a very good session. At the end of her 30 minute session we went out to the lobby of the hospital so she could enjoy some other surroundings other than her room. Dar loves to be on the move in her chair. It was raining outside so she was content to just be in the lobby and talk and smile and laugh with me and when visitors that knew her stopped by to say “HI” Dar was very outgoing.



Speech therapist Jennifer found us shortly after we got to the lobby and asked if Dar would like to have her session there? Dar told her “yes”. I asked if Dar had been talking to them since Sunday and Jennifer told me that she was mouthing words but that she had not spoken as yet. When I asked if they were aware that Dar started speaking with her “speaking valve” on Sunday, Jennifer said they were not aware of it.I told Jennifer of what had taken place on Sunday and that Dar had the “inner canula” of her trach shortened and the white speaking valve placed instead of the “red speaking cap” and Dar found her vocal cords and started talking on Sunday. Jennifer got real excited and left for a few moments and brought Linda (head speech therapist) back with her. Linda had Dar’s shortened “inner canula” and white speaking valve in hand. Linda deflated Dar’s “cuff” and placed the “valve” assembly in place and Dar was off to the races. Dar started laughing and talking like a “jay bird’. It was very exciting to see for the first time what I had heard about on Sunday.Linda and Jennifer began Dar’s specific “session” after much laughter and joy; they too were as excited as I about Dar’s progress.Much of Dar’s session after that was specific to “memory recall”, Dar knows she is in the hospital, not quite sure where but knows she is there because she “fell”.Dar knows she is 45 years old and she was born on the 29th, but is little confused as to the month. She thinks it is July but is not quite sure, it is June.



Dar can fill in the blank to most questions and is able to tell us when she is hurting or is comfortable. Dr Waters was able to see first hand how well Dar is speaking. Doctor Waters asked Dar a few questions that are only savvy to the two of them and Dar laughed and laughed. She sounds very good when she laughs. Dar has to take her time when answering questions as she is not able to say many words in one breath of air, so we wait patiently as she thinks and gathers her breath before she speaks.On Saturday Dar and I talked about the upcoming holiday, Easter, I told Dar that there was only one thing that I would like from her before or the day of Easter. I told Dar that I would really like to hear her say “I love you” to me. She smiled.During a break of her session I asked Dar if she remembered what I asked for on Easter. She smiled and then slowly said those three words I was longing to hear, Dar slowly and carefully in two breaths of air said “I love you”. That did it, wasn’t a dry eye in the house, therapists included. Between the joy and laughter Dar could not help but start laughing with the rest of us.


I am so proud of her and the progress she has made. She is such a special lady and God certainly has His hand in her recovery.Dar concluded her therapy session with a “A Plus” grade.


We stayed in the lobby till her buddy Dowie came back for yet another PT session in the gym. We told him that Dar had her speaking valve in and asked if he wanted it removed and put back to her regular state. Dowie thought for a moment and said “lets leave it in, maybe she can talk to me in gym class”. OPPS, wrong thing to say, because after Dar rolled down the hallways laughing loud enough for others to look to see who it was and congratulate her, Dar told Dowie when he asked her if she was ready to use the Standing Machine, Dar said and I quote “NO”, Dowie asked are you sure, Dar said “YES”, Dowie “caved”, “gave in”. He and Dar spent the next 30 minutes working on her center of balance. Actually, Dowie was very pleased with Dar. She is now getting better and is starting to find her “center of balance” in the sitting position. Does not hold it long but she does find it and can hold it for about a 3 second count. This is major improvement. Still holding her head weight and able to” look up” Dar continues to improve on a daily basis.


I cannot help but be excited about this weekend, a weekend of hope, joy, miracles and family.In closing for this post Dar and I would again like to take a moment to thank all of you far and wide that have become part of our lives to say how much we appreciate your prayers and the love that you have shown.


During this special time of year we ask that as you gather around your “family” dinner table, bar-b-que on the patio, spin about the lake in your boat, or visit the “resting” place of a loved one, that you just take a moment and thank God for what He has done in your life, the blessings you have. Take a moment to tell those around you how much you care and love them. We have no idea what tomorrow brings, but one thing sure, “we have today, this moment”,,,,,,,,, Happy Easter, We love You All.


Love to all,Dar/Danny

Post update,

The picture at the top of the post was sent to me a short while ago from Peggy Murphy, John’s mom. If you look closely you can see Dar is showing off her “blue” mouth. Blue because she had her first taste of real people food on Thursday. Don’t know what it was but it was a “puree’ “. Blue I am sure so they could be sure Dar is swallowing correctly. I hear she did “fabulous”. What a great time we can look forward to this weekend, talking and eating real food. Said it before and I will say it again, miracles do happen and you are watching God do His work for Dar. Thank you all, keep your prayers coming, Happy Easter to All.

Love ya,
Dar/Danny

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Darlene is making amazing progress. I really get a kick out of following her progress. Tell her to keep up the good work and that we are all pulling for her.

Ryan, RN

Dream Team Member :) said...

That's such great news!! Those three words were way over due. I'm glad she remembered and she was able to say them! GO DAR!!